Best Horse Saddle Pads – Complete Review
Horse riding is one of the most enjoyed fantasies from the very beginning of human survival. It has evolved in various forms, and today, people can choose one of them according to their likes and dislikes.
Today horses are domesticated for multiple purposes
From professional to recreational, all the purposes demand proper care and maintenance of the horses. The comfort of the horse is the main priority of the owner, which could eventually lead to great performances.
Various articles are used to increase the comfort level for horses. One of them are the best saddle pads for horses.
Best Saddle Pads - Top Picks
|Product Name||Product Preview||Product Price|
|TuffRider Basic All Purpose Saddle Pad||Buy Now|
|Best Friend Western Style Bareback Saddle Pad||Buy Now|
|Weaver Leather 35-9307-H37 Contoured Saddle Pad||Buy Now|
|ECP All Purpose Diamond Quilted Cotton English Half Saddle Pad||Buy Now|
|Southwestern Equine OrthoRide Correction Saddle Pad 1" Made in USA||Buy Now|
|Derby Originals Premium Half Fleece Lined All Purpose & Dressage Saddle Pads with Pockets||Buy Now|
|Diamond Wool Contour Felt Ranch Pad||Buy Now|
|Roma Circle Quilt Pads||Buy Now|
|Best Friend Comfort Plus Bareback Pad||Buy Now|
|Weaver Leather Western Gel Seat Pad||Buy Now|
Saddle pads are the fabrics which are cushioned inside the saddle to reduce the weight of the rider on the horses back while riding. These riding pads protect the back of the horse from various kinds of back-related problems faced by the horses.
The horse riding pads make both the horse as well as the rider more comfortable and relaxed.
TuffRider Basic Saddle Pads
- Ideal for any kind of sides polyester-cotton combination
- The unique diamond quilting pattern
- Flannel on the inner side of the pad
Best Friend Western Style Bareback Saddle Pad
- Perfect for trail rides as well as longer rides
- Best Western bareback pad
- Constructed in such a way to fit almost all kinds of saddles
- Extra padding done at the ends
Weaver Leather 35-9307-H37 Contoured
- High-quality wool fleece lining for added cushioning and comfort
- Crafted in an exceptional style to tolerate the daily pressures exerted while various equestrian activities
- This saddle pad is covered by a more durable material called Herculon
- Shows resistance to mildew
ECP Diamond Quilted Cotton Saddle Pad
- Available in many vibrant colors
- Two pockets are in the front, and two on the backside of the pad makes the pad more easily adjustable.
- Suitable for almost all equestrian activities
- Padding is done in a more advanced way to absorb shocks
- A more luxurious cotton top absorbs more moisture and protects the back of the horse
- Intellectually designed for different kinds of horses ranging from beginners to more professional and trained and trained horses
Southwestern Equine OrthoRide
- Suitable for all pressure exerting rides like barrel racing, roping, etc
- Solves various saddle fitness related problems
- Ideal for all types of ponies including those with less developed shoulder muscles
- Poron XRD is one of the best shock absorbing materials used for padding these days, and this material is inserted under the saddles which absorbs most of the shocks
- It is one of the best and uniquely designed saddle pads available in the market
Derby Originals Premium Half Fleece Saddle Pads
- Most appropriate for trail rides
- Two pockets are available for storing various necessary items of the rider like eatables
- Gets easily fitted in almost all saddles
- Available in two innovative styles i.e., all-purpose pads and dressage pads
Diamond Wool Contour Felt Ranch Pad
- Made from superior quality wool
- Possesses sweat absorbing qualities and increases the comfort level of the horses
- These excellent quality saddle pads are constructed with hands
- They last longer in heavy work as well
- Ideal for Winters
Roma Circle Quilt Pads
- Unique circular quilted pattern
- Looks very attractive and decent
- Contains girth straps made of nylon
- The lining is constructed in an excellent way to wick away maximum sweat which ultimately leads to added security and happiness
- Both cotton and polyester are mixed in appropriate quantities to make it smoother and more durable
Best Friend Comfort Plus Bareback Pad
- Best and the most innovative bareback pad which provides extra comfort and pleasure needed by almost all the horse riders
- Ideal for pleasure rides
- The bottom of the pad is constructed with a non-slippery premium quality material, which provides the proper grip and balance needed by the riders
Weaver Leather Western Gel Seat Pad
- One of the most amazing products available in the market
- Gel saddle seat is excellently designed to absorb most of the shocks
- Perfect for almost all western saddles
- Its moderate thickness protects both the rider and the horse from injuries
- Makes riding more comfortable and painless
- Webbing straps attached to the horn and at the back of the pad helps in balancing the pad and adjusting it in its place
About Best Saddle Pads
Saddle pads are one of the essential attires which prevents the back muscles of the horse from overheating so that they remain healthy and fit to achieve higher performances.
- They are the most original accessories needed by the horse riders to gain maximum pleasure by boosting the confidence of the rider as well as the horse.
- They are an integral part of the equine world.
Various kinds of saddle pads are available in the market, which needs to be appropriately selected according to our ride styles and horses.
It generally comes in a wide variety of shapes, colors, materials, and thicknesses.
In this era of technology, more innovative and new materials are introduced with advanced features to maximize the comfort level of your reigning horses.
The most common materials used in its construction these days are fleece, felt, foam pads, neoprene, cotton, etc.
Each one of them possess some excellent features which make them different and unique from the other.
- Material used at the bottom of many saddle pads for extra comfort and softness. Generally, there are two types of wool fleece i.e., synthetic and natural. Both of them give adequate padding needed for fabulous performances.
- Natural fleece degrades more quickly than synthetic fleece, but one cannot ignore its sweat-wicking capacity and comfort. That’s why sometimes, natural fleece is combined with other materials to achieve the best results.
- Felt can naturally wick moisture and are dense as compared to fleece. Its density protects the horse’s back from extra pressure and friction produced when they are rubbed against the skin.
- It also provides the proper grip and balance needed by many horses. This material needs time for drying and are not easy to clean.
- pads use increased in the past few years due to its pressure distributing abilities, which prevents injuries and discomfort. There are mainly two types of foams, i.e., open-cell foam and closed-cell foam.
- They are the best shock absorber and its unique texture helps in providing proper grip? Thus, making the saddle more stable.
Do you know?
There is another material used for constructing horse saddle pads and is known as the best sweat absorber which helps in keeping the body cool
- Best Saddle Pads also come in a wide variety of shapes like flat pads, contour, round, cut out, sway back, built up, etc.
- pads are most suitable for horses having flatbacks.
- shaped pads are the most demanded ones, which possess the quality of fitting in any kind of horse irrespective of their sizes and muscular structures.
Types of Saddle Pads
Saddle pads are available in various types, each one of which, is designed to serve its specific purpose.
It is very important to select an appropriate type by analyzing the features of each of the pads by simply looking at the structure of the horse and deciding the best option suited.
Some saddle pad types are:
- Western saddle pads and English saddle pads
These are the most common pads used in their respective countries and are designed to fit in their respective saddles.
English pads are generally thicker than the western pads as they are more padded. Western pads are usually rectangular. Sometimes, it is in the shape of the square also. Western pads are softer than English pads as it contains wool lining.
- Dressage pads
Dressage pads are generally made from foam or fiber and are available in a wide variety of designs like fur lining, extra grips, etc. They fit properly in dressage saddles.
- Half saddle pads
These pads are generally made from sheepskin which makes it fluffier and softer. It also holds moisture very well. They are generally used for added protection and support over the top of a regular saddle pad.
- Gel saddle pads
These pads are used mostly as a supporting material like half saddle pads. It is most suitable for those horses which have weak muscular structures.
Advantages of the best saddle pads
- The best saddle pads contain the quality to absorb maximum moisture to provide a cooling effect to the horse during intensive training and longer rides
- The chief requirement of these pads is that it prevents the saddle from sliding and ensures safe rides.
- It fundamentally protects the horse’s back, wither, ribs and shoulders by spreading the weight of the rider evenly, thus decreasing pressure points
- These pads act as a shock absorber
- It also helps in preventing gall sores and skin injuries which eventually helps in keeping the horse healthy and clean
- Saddle helps in the easy adjustment of the saddle in many different types of horses and also protects the saddle from dirt, sweat and horse’s hair
How to select appropriate saddle pads?
In the equine world, the selection of pads is not an easy task. Appropriate pads are necessary for the wellbeing of the horses as it greatly affects the performance.
A wrong choice will probably lead to worse circumstances.
The heat evolved due to friction is the main problem faced by the horses while reigning. Its severity might be ignored by some but it’s not worth ignoring as it will create painful situations like blister formation on the skin, swelling, rashes, edema, and sores.
So careful selection is the key need. Specially designed saddle pads are needed for the unusual horses like those having high withers or unusual or irregular back structures.
The best saddle pads are selected not only based on its colors and texture but its function is the key point to be noted.
- Type of ride is also a key factor in determining the type of pad.
- Pads usually act as supporting material needed for the proper fitness of the saddles and the dream of a properly fitted saddle should be achieved only by selecting the right size and style.
- They enlarge the surface area of saddles to decrease the pressure of specific points.
- It would be better to avoid synthetic saddle pads as most of them heat up very easily. Their wicking capacity is also lower than that of natural Saddle pads, which could lead to inflammations.
How to maintain saddle pads?
Cleaning and maintenance are an important task necessary for maintaining hygiene and health. Every material needs proper care to enhance its durability.
Saddle pads are one of them which needs regular maintenance as the sweat absorbed by it contains salt harming the fabric, thus decreasing its life span.
Some pads need less maintenance while others need high maintenance.
It depends on the raw material used in their construction.
- Leather trim pads are the one which needs a lot of maintenance as they start molding when used for a long time.
- Washing will help in regaining its original shape.
- Vacuum easily removes specks of dust and horsehairs but sweat Will be removed by washing only.
- After washing, drying these pads in direct sunlight is not a good idea as the UV rays present in the sunlight will damage the fiber leading to cracks in leather trims.
- It’s much better to wipe the leather trim with the wet cloth.
- Oiling is also a way to maintain smoothness in leather pads.
- The care instructions given on the saddle pads needs to be read properly and followed to make the pad reliable and friendly.